Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Lowe Experience Pt. II

Me in front of the Lowe next to 
The Lowe Museum. Its own work of art. Complete with sculptures, gardens, and interesting architecture. The first gallery features the "Modern and Contemporary" styles. The first piece that really grabbed my attention was Sandy Skoglund's Breathing Glass. It is easily the largest item in the room and all that same shade of blue. The silver dragonflies on the back and the small white people on the bottom imply a more spiritual meaning. The larger blue people are made of mosaic.
Unfortunately, this was the only piece I was able to photograph before being scolded by the campus "fuzz". I was able to receive some photos via email later but they had no title and artist name. Furthermore, when I tried to contact the museum to inquire this information, I was directed by the receptionist to the answering machine of a director who was out of town. I was able to getnthe name of one from extensive research online but that's all, folks. I will post the other photos and my interpretation yet I am unable to give you titles. I apologize.

In the same gallery as Breathing Glass, Acropolis by ?  hilariously depicts two tour groups (one Asian, one American) touring the ancient Greek ruin of the Parthenon. I really loved the photographer's vantage point. He/she choose to take the photo behind someone from the Asian group who was taking a group picture. Instead of focusing on the famous ruins of an architectural classic, the photographer focused on the people who are around it.

Looking at this glass piece straight on (like this photo represents), shows are completely different feeling than looking at from the sides. First, the circular patterns add detail and texture. The zig-zag center of negative space breaks up the overwhelming image. From the side, it is possible to see through the inside and find a colorful background with interesting typography. Two totally different images. Same piece.

This sculpture was in the glass gallery along with the one above. What is interesting about this piece is the message. Although most art can be interpreted any way the viewer pleases, this work says the message like a slap in the face. The figures are trying to escape their test-tube-shaped cages. The second one from the left has already escaped and is helping another break free while the second from the right is trying to untangle himself from the "chains". What I found most interesting was the medium. While I have seen many art pieces about slavery, this is the first work where the medium was as icy and fragile as glass.

Still life. Essential, beautiful, meaningless. Still lifes rarely have significance ore some higher message. They are purely made to be aesthetically pleasing. This one fulfills its duty. While it isn't contemporary, out-there, or anything to get to excited about, there is nothing wrong with it. The subject, citrus fruit and a vase of water, are refreshing and light. The artist's brushstroke is broad yet neat. 

This museum had a wide range from different cultures, time periods, mediums, and processes. While I wish I could have shown more in my post, I am glad I have this museum available as a resource to learn about a broad landscape of art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment