Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Don't rain on my parade

Here lie my notebook. Torn, tattered, wet from rain. While my notebook looks terrible, this is nothing compared to Wynwood. The streets were not flooded... with cars. It was not raining... crowds of people. The weather dampened more than my notebook. I felt like Barbra Streisand singing Don't rain on my parade because the rain put a damper on the whole scene. The mood was different than my previous visits on Art Walk night. I still visited six galleries and I have plenty to say.

The first gallery I visited was Gallery 212. They had the best vibe. It was considerably filled with people, they had a great selection of artwork, and my sister was very excited to note the presence of wine.
I like this one because the parts are elevated at different heights. There are only uses two colors which is very simplistic yet it is detailed.
The cool colors are very obvious and contrast greatly with her "warmer side". The shapes are pretty geometric yet it forms a face.
I can't say I am any work of art but, this is sufficient proof that I was in Wynwood I hope.

Probably one of my favorite sculptures I saw that night. It is hard to see in the picture but this is supposed to be a whale tail. It is so majestic and smooth. The lines are very graceful despite the artificial look of the steel medium. Manmade-nature-inspired beauty.

Primary colors galore! While I do like the aesthetic appeal of this one, I don't think there is any higher purpose. It reminds me of an adult version of toy sail boats and flags. I think I feel that way because the colors have a childish connotation.
As I was exiting the gallery, I noticed these panthers. They are pretty small and are located on the floor under larger and more significant looking art. I don't understand why the gallery would choose to position them that way but I took notice nonetheless. Each panther seems to be in a stage of hunt. I find panthers very inspiring. I think it is because they are my school mascot. Art can do that. They can have an unintended affect on the viewer because of prior experiences. This is so important. Once I saw an artist who painted her murals of landscapes scenes on china dolls. The dolls reminded me of the ones I loved when I was little and it bothered me that she scared them with her brush. Different strokes for different folks.

The next gallery I hopped into was Evil World. Not my scene. The artwork was to... printed. Nothing felt original. It felt like it could be reprinted a hundred times. There is a certain point were the meaning and value is lost. Granted, I Gould one that I liked.
This one is called White Wedding (irony is my best friend). What is most surprising is he skeletons look so happy. That isn't supposed to happen.
It came with this poem. My sister, who speaks Spanish, translated it. 

Next stop: Yoamo 305. Well laid out.
Thought this sculpture was cute.

I was in a hurry because the weather so I ran to Alberto Linero gallery. My favorite. This was the best as far as how the art was positioned. Each artist had their own wall/alcove. It was easier to focus on the work rather than get distracted by something else.
These are the first you see at the entrance. Commonly, major figures of history, wealth, and power have a dark setting with draped cloth and jewels. This is much more playful and colorful. I can see the Hispanic influences on a traditional European piece. Each has a balance between the charge tee and the background: the background doesn't overpower but has its own role.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."
In this work, a cherub shows a woman a portrait of you (a screen showing the image of a camera that is pointed outward from the painting. I love how the image not only has a significant message about a important and relevant social issue but interacts with the viewer. Also, instead the artist uses a camera and screen instead a mirror to bring the artwork into this century. Plus, it is generally aesthetically pleasing.

While I was in the gallery, I interviewed artist Santiago Betancur Z. He came to the US from Columbia about 5 years ago. Currently, he is working on three "theories" on the human condition. Influenced by other Colombian artists, he has a distinctive style. For example, he uses broader brush strokes that reveal less detail (leaving more for the viewers' imagination). He also paints the entire canvas leaving no space unclaimed by paint. To paraphrase, he says he wants the viewer to have a full experience.
These two are part of a series he is working on capturing large personalities. You can tell from the distinct color pallets. 

He calls these "egonauts". Each subject is trapped in their own bubble or ego. The darker colors compliment the sinister idea that these portray.

The gallery next door is Gold Leaf. They had a private event so I didn't stay long. I did, however, snap a photo of my favorite piece in the gallery.

This is unlike anything else I saw that night. For one, the colors were brighter and the theme more positive. There was also a sense of place in the work. I could smell the seawater and feel the coll winds of the East coast. The painting brought me in without showing as much detail. There are also very few colors used yet, the piece has its own complexity barbecue you can tell that different materials were used.

























As I was leaving Wynwood I saw the gallery Diet. I waled in briefly (brief because their was only one piece). Their was a large tour in front of the sole painting so I wasn't able to get a picture. Still, it felt like a waste of space to have one gallery and only one item hanging on the wall. To have to jump out of the car and through the pouring rain and through the tour group to see one fakata work, I felt cheated. The lighting didn't bother me as much as the lack of art in the gallery.

Still, despite the rain and poor showing at Diet, I felt accomplished going to Wynwood. I saw art that reminded me of things that we have learned and I saw art that inspired me. Being able to explore the art world and learn more about art through this art walk is a valuable. (But I wouldn't save it for a rainy day.)

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the first gallery you went to. I for sure noticed the whale tail and it was probably my favorite. Do you know how tall it is? I definitely want to go check out this gallery. I also loved the panthers and how the middle one looks like it is about to attack you.

    ReplyDelete